Anyone used an emoji domain for a project? If so what were the pros and cons?
Yes. I use one for https://😁.to and we also have https://🚧.to for WIP.
- It's fun and makes you stand out from the crowd
- It's short
- Depending on the emoji it might be easy to remember
- Many browsers including Chrome don't show the emoji in the domain name
- Technical support is lacking (e.g. I believe Slack doesn't auto-links emoji URLs)
- It can be confusing to people unfamiliar with emoji domains
- It probably doesn't help for SEO purposes
- You're limited to a non-standard domain extension
Overall I would recommend using them only as a redirection URL (like 🚧.to), or when standing out outweigh the cons (e.g. for silly side projects).
Agree with Marc's overall conclusion. Another con is that you can't share emoji domains on Facebook (doesn't recognise as a URL).